Saturday, May 11, 2013

Ew You Said What Was In My Nail Polish Again?

You might be wondering why that's the title of this post. Well folks get ready for a bumpy ride because by the time I am done with you the only thing you will be saying is "ew you said what was in my nail polish again?"



So as you know I am on a quest to live a better lifestyle. For me that means better food, better cosmetics and better consumption habits. In the area of better cosmetics that means cleaner products and that encompasses things like my nail polish. Why you ask? Because it contains a lovely blend of these three items:


  • Toluene
  • Formaldehyde
  • Dibutyl Phthalate (DBP)
These my friends are known as "The Toxic Trio" and for good reason too! These chemicals have been banned all over the world for being extremely dangerous to humans (and probably animals too!) They are known for causing everything from asthma and cancer to developmental problems and birth defects. Yuck right? These chemicals are no joke and what's worse is the industry doesn't put this information  on the back of those pretty bottles that us girly girls have come to love. 



It stinks. There is no way around it and if you don't believe me do your own research! Look up articles, search for the ingredients in your favourite brands and find out about each ingredient. Being informed is important!
  
I understand why you might be saying Lisette it's no big deal, chill out I am not putting those chemicals on my skin and I'm sure as heck not eating. Well pretty girl think again. Your nails are extremely porous and every time you swipe a coat on you are exposing your body to that deadly trio. Oh and as for not eating them if you are like me sometimes your fingers have a way of getting into your mouth. So case closed on that one. Oh man oh man right? And while the industry says that those chemicals are safe in small doses think about how many times your hands go into your mouth and how long you wear that nail polish for. Im thinking longer than a day, probably more like two weeks and coupled with the other chemicals you are exposed to you are one coat away from disaster!

Picture from Blog Honest


But never fear, after doing some research and getting some recommendations from other clean product junkies I found loads of other brands that make your nails look pretty without all of the nasty stuff! Some great options are:

  • Zoya
  • Suncoat
  • Piggy Paint (more for little kids) 
  • and so many more! Just type in organic or non toxic nail lacquer into google and search until your heart's desire! Easy right?
I think the biggest lesson I have learned is making cleaner choices isn't so hard! You just need to do a little research (or read blogs hehe)
Namaste,
Lisette

No comments:

Post a Comment