Saturday, May 11, 2013

My Great Gatsby Review

Last night I went to see The Great Gatsby and *drumroll please* my review is....let the haters be damned! I loved it!


But first let me start off with a little history. The Great Gatsby was a book that I had to read in high school and like most of you I am sure I wasn't particularly fond of it. I hated looking for symbolism, e.g.; what does the green light mean, what do the glasses overlooking the city of ashes symbolize blah blah blah, I hated it! But then something really weird happened. I went to college, I had life experiences and somewhere along the way a book that once made absolutely no sense to me suddenly became a masterpiece. I understood why Gatsby loved Daisy so much, I understood why love just wasn't enough for Daisy. Basically love isn't easy. 



So when people say they didn't like the dancing in the movie because it wasn't authentic, I say so what?  Most of us have seen Moulin Rouge or Romeo + Juliet, we all know that director is just a little bit quirky. If you didn't like his style pick another movie. People also said they thought the storyline was boring. Okay well my answer for you is pick that up with Fitzgerald. Also if you understood the beauty in the book it wouldn't be boring to you trust me. 

Maybe I am biased or maybe I'm just a romantic but the movie was great and the storyline melted my heart just like I knew it would.  So with that in mind and summer right around the corner I leave you with a thought.

In the words of F. Scott Fitzgerald, “and so with the sunshine and the great bursts of leaves growing on the trees, just as things grow in fast movies, I had that familiar conviction that life was beginning over again with the summer.” 

Namaste, 
Lisette 

No comments:

Post a Comment