Friday, July 27, 2012

Chivalry

Happy Friday you guys! Like I say every week, I have no idea where the time went! It seems as though it's Monday one minute and Friday the next! As you all probably noticed the title of my post this afternoon is a little different. Today I wanted to talk about chivalry and some neat things that I saw happen this week! So without further ado, let's get started with my stories!


Story Number 1: So a couple of days ago I went to the post office to mail a letter. Now I don't usually go to the post office (since we have stamps at home) but we were all out, so a run to the post office was needed. I forgot that they tend to close a little early, so I ended up missing the actual teller by 3 minutes. Since I missed the teller, my only other option was to buy stamps from the machine. Now I am a pretty savvy person if I do say so myself, but for some reason or another I was flustered and I somehow ended up buying the wrong stamps for the letter I was going to mail. I felt really dumb and frustrated because by that time the line had grown substantially and I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of waiting for another 20 minutes because of my stupid mistake. Well, right as I was about to get back in line an older man stopped me and proceeded to hand me two stamps that he had just bought for himself. I was so taken aback because it was one of the nicest things a complete stranger has ever done for me. It was such a sweet gesture and I was really touched. It seems to me like a lot of young men don't go out of their way like older men seem to do. It honestly made my day.



Story Number 2: It seemed that all of the wonderful gentlemen of the world had gathered in the mailroom that day because I witnessed something else that just melted my heart. Back when I was still standing in line another gentleman came in. He had wanted the actually teller too but like me had missed them by 3 minutes. After realising that they were closed he proceeded to get in line like the rest of us. Well a few minutes later an older woman that had been in front of me started to make her way to the door. But before she could even get there the young man behind me had already removed himself from the line and had opened both of the exit doors for her. It was the cutest thing. After she left he calmly walked back to the line and waited like nothing special had happened. The funny thing is, I watched him do this many times until all of the ladies in the line had exited the building. I was literally blown away, first because guys just don't do that anymore and second because he did it without expecting to be recognized. For him he wasn't going out of his way, it just seemed like this sort of thing came naturally to him.



Story Number 3: The last neat thing that I encountered this week was when a guy my age went out of his way to hold open the door for my friend and I at the gym. We had just arrived and were walking from the parking lot to the front door. In front of us, probably a good 15 steps away was your typical college guy. He had the athlete/douche bag (pardon my french) look about him and so neither Fi or I figured he would even stop to let us catch the tail end of the door. Well to our astonishment not only did he stop and wait for us to get to the door, but he also held it open. Not only that but he did it for the next door too, and he made sure we were in front of him so we could swipe our cards first.

Now these 3 men probably have no idea how much those little gestures meant to me or the other ladies they helped, but personally they really touched me. I learned two important lessons this weekend 1) don't judge a book by its cover and 2) if a guy does go out of his way to do nice things for you, make sure you thank him. As much as girls complain that guys don't do chivalrous things anymore I also noticed that a lot of women don't thank them when they are being chivalrous. I honestly think that if more girls started acting like ladies, more boys would stand up to be gentlemen. I just really liked what I saw and thought I would share. Do you guys agree? I hope you guys have a wonderful weekend!
xoxo,
lRn

2 comments:

  1. I completely agree! Of course, men aren't as chivalrous as they used to be, but when I see men or boys try to open the door for girls and they just ignore them it makes me sad! Girls try to say that boys need to be more gentleman-like, but the girls also need to be more lady-like. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, and I just realized that I was following you with my Twitter account, not my Blogger account. I was wondering why I never saw your posts on my reading list! Sorry!

    ReplyDelete